Emeritus Professor Andrew Jones graduated with First Class Honours from the School of Government, UQ in 1971 and obtained a Masters of Social Work from Carleton University, Canada, in 1977. Since 1977, Andrew Jones has held academic positions at La Trobe University, James Cook University of North Queensland and The University of Queensland. From 1982 to 2009 he taught social policy, human services management and community planning in the School of Social Work and Human Services, UQ. He was Head of School from 2000-2003 and Deputy Head of School from 2007-2009. Since 2002 he has been the Director or Deputy Director (currently Director) of the Queensland Research Centre of the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI). In 2009 he was appointed Research Program Director (Social Wellbeing, Health and Housing) in the newly formed Institute of Social Science Research, UQ.
- The impact of home maintenance and modification services on ‘ageing in place’ and housing adjustments in later life. Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute research grant 2006. A. Jones (project leader), R. Phillips, D. De Jonge.
- Building sustainable social capital in new communities. Australian Research Council Linkage Grant 2003. A. Jones (project leader), B. Muirhead, L. Cheshire, H. Bartlett, G. Lawrence. Industry partner: Delfin Lend Lease.
- Rental housing provision for low-income older Australians: scoping the issues, clarifying policy choices and developing a program of research’. Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute research grant 2002. A. Jones (project leader), M. Bell, G. Earl, C. Tilse. $107,000
- Tackling poverty and social exclusion in regional Queensland: the role of place management. ARC Strategic Partnerships with Industry – Research and Training (SPIRT) Grant 2001. P. Smyth, A. Jones (chief investigators). Partner investigators: T. Reddel & R. Bush. Industry partners: Department of Premier and Cabinet and Department of Families, Youth and Community Care, Queensland Government.
- Australian housing policy
- Housing for older people
- Social housing policy and management
- Social policy analysis
- Organisational studies
- Social program evaluation
- Community planning
Jones, A., de Jonge, D. & Phillips, R. (2008). The role of home maintenance and modification services in achieving health, community care and housing outcomes in later life. AHURI Final Report, No. 123. Melbourne: AHURI.
Jones, A., Bell, M., Earl, G. and Tilse, C. (2007). Rental housing provision for lower income older Australians. AHURI Final Report, No. 98. Melbourne: AHURI.
Jones, A. and Seelig, T. (2005). Enhancing research-policy linkages in Australian housing, an options paper. AHURI Final Report, No. 79. Melbourne: AHURI.
Smyth, P., Reddel, T., & Jones, A. (eds.) (2005). Community and Local Governance. Sydney: University of New South Wales Press.
Smyth, P., Reddel, T., & Jones, A. (2004). Social inclusion, new regionalism and associational governance: the Queensland experience. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, vol. 28, no, 3, pp. 601-615.
Jones, A. (2000). Social work: an enterprising profession in a competitive environment. In O'Connor, I., Warburton, J. & Smyth, P. (eds.), Contemporary Perspectives on Social Work and the Human Services: Challenges and Changes. Melbourne: Addison Wesley Longman.
McDonald, C. & Jones, A. (2000). Reconstructing and re-conceptualising social work in the emerging milieu. Australian Social Work, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 3-12.
Jones, A. & Smyth, P. (1999). Social exclusion: a new framework for social policy analysis? Just Policy, vol. 17, pp. 11-20.
Jones, A. & May, J. (1992). Working in Human Service Organisations: A Critical Introduction. Melbourne: Longman Cheshire.
Jones, A. & Rutman, L. (1981). In the Children's Aid: J. J. Kelso and Child Welfare in Ontario. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.