Linda worked in the Queensland public service until early 2010 where she held policy roles in central agencies such as the Public Service Commission and Department of Industrial Relations, as well as operational roles managing human resources and industrial relations in agencies such as TAFE, Emergency Services and Treasury. Her doctoral research explored the history of career service employment in the Queensland public service from 1859 to 2000. Her current fellowship builds on that research by looking forward into future public employment issues.
- Public sector employment relations, and the changing trajectory from the career service to contemporary employment arrangements
- Queensland Government history
- Public administration reform, and the implications for public employment
- Future challenges for public employment, such as ageing workforces, capability and workforce planning
- Colley, Linda (2014 – in press - accepted 14/11/2012) Ageing public services and the position of older women: An Australian case study, Journal of Women and Aging, 26(2), pp tba
- Colley, Linda and Head, Brian (2013 - in press) Changing Patterns of Privatisation: Ideology, Economic Necessity or Political Opportunism?, International Journal of Public Administration, tba, DOI:10.1080/01900692.2013.795164
- Colley, Linda (2013 – in press) Understanding ageing public sector workforces: Demographic challenge or a consequence of public management reforms and employment policy design? Public Management Review, pp tba. DOI:10.1080/14719037.2013.771697
- Colley, Linda (2013) Not Codgers in Cardigans! Female workforce participation and ageing public services, Gender, Work and Organization, 20(3), pp.327-348
- Colley, Linda; McCourt, Willy; and Waterhouse, Jennifer (2012) Hybrids and contradictions: human resource management in the contemporary public sector, International Journal of Public Administration, 35(8), pp.507-512.
- Colley, Linda (2012) How did public services fare? A review of Australian state public service labour markets during the global financial crisis, Journal of Industrial Relations, 54(5) pp.612-636
- Colley, Linda (2012) Public employment in the economic downturn: the case of an Australian state, International Journal of Public Administration, 35(8), pp.513-523.
- Colley, L (2012) Weathering the storm: Australian public sector employment security during decades of public management reform and the recent economic downturn, Review of Public Personnel Administration, 32(1), pp.87-101.
- Colley, L (2011) The passing of youth! How removal of traditional youth recruitment policies contributed to the ageing of public service workforces, Labour History, 101, pp. 177-194.
- Colley, L (2011) Applying labour process concepts to public sector executive employment reforms: Peeling and segmenting the mandarins?, Journal of Management History, 17(3) pp. 332-346
- Colley, L and Price, R (2010) Where have all the workers gone? Exploring public sector workforce planning, Australian Journal of Public Administration, 69(2) pp.202-213.
- Waterhouse, J and Colley, L (2010) The Work-Life Provisions of Fair Work Act Australia: A Compromise of Stakeholder Preference, Australian Bulletin of Labour, 36(2), pp.154-177.
- Colley, L (2010) Central policies, local discretion: A review of employee access to work-life balance arrangements in a public sector agency, Australian Bulletin of Labour, 36(2), pp.214-237
- Colley, L (2006) Approaches to the Merit Principle in Queensland Public Service Recruitment: From rich and dumb to gender discrimination to politicisation? Australian Journal of Public Administration, 65(1), pp.46-60.
- Colley, L (2006) Culture Shock: Changes to Human Resource Practices in the Queensland Public Service 1989-1996, International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, Vol. 5.
- Colley, L (2005), How secure was that public service job? Redundancy in the Queensland Public Service 1859 - 1993, Labour History, No 89, November 2005, pp.141-158.
- Colley, L (2004) The use of redundancy in the Queensland Public Service from 1859 to 1999: Economic necessity or organisational choice? Labour and Industry, Vol.15, No 2, pp.65-84.
- Colley, L (2004) Merit is in the Eye of the Beholder - Barriers to Women entering the Queensland Public Service from 1859-1959, Journal of Interdisciplinary Gender Studies, Vol. 9, No 1 July 2004, pp.62-90.
- Colley, L (2003) Changes to Queensland Public Service Employment 1980-1995: A Union’s Portrayal of its Response, Employment Relations Record, Vol. 3, No.1, 2003, pp.35-51.
- Colley, L (2002) Commentary: The rise and fall of the career public service, New Zealand Journal of Industrial Relations, October 2002, Vol 27, Iss.3, pp.349-362.
- Colley, L (2001) The Changing Face of Public Sector Employment, Australian Journal of Public Administration, 60 (1), pp.9-20.
- Colley, L (2012) The state of play for Australian HR practitioners, 16th international Research Society on Public Management (IRSPM) Conference, Rome, 11-13 April 2012
- Colley, L (2012) Public sector labour markets during the economic crisis: Further erosion of the model employer reputation? 30th International Labour Process Conference (ILPC), Stockholm, Sweden, 27-29 March 2012.
- Colley, L (2012) Double jeopardy? Gender and ageing in public services, Proceedings of the 26rd Association of Industrial Relations Academics Australia and New Zealand (AIRAANZ) Conference, Gold Coast, 7-10 February 2012.
- Colley, L Brown, K and Hahn, C (2012) Regional differences in Queensland public employment: Industrial relations issues in non-metropolitan areas, Proceedings of the 26rd Association of Industrial Relations Academics Australia and New Zealand (AIRAANZ) Conference, Gold Coast, 8-10 February 2012.
- Colley, L (2012) Decision-making in a crisis: State government employment strategies for their public service workforces, Public Policy Network Conference, Melbourne, 25-27 January 2012.
- Colley, L (2011) Here is one I prepared earlier! Considering Queensland asset sales in historical context, Third Annual Association Academic Association of History in Australia and New Zealand Business Schools (AAHANZBS) Conference 2011, Auckland NZ, 8-9 December 2011.
- Head, B and Colley, L (2011) Asset sales: From financial necessity to policy opportunism?, Australasian Political Studies Association (APSA) Conference, Canberra, 26-28 September 2011, http://law.anu.edu.au/COAST/events/APSA/papers/57.pdf.
- Colley, L (2011) Strategically planned or ad hoc? How the global recession affected public sector employment relations in an Australian state, 15th international Research Society on Public Management (IRSPM) Conference, Dublin, Ireland, 11-13 April 2011
- Colley, L (2011) Politics, reforms and jobs: How the Queensland public sector fared during the global recession, 29th International Labour Process Conference, Leeds, UK, April 5-7, 2011
- Colley, L (2011) Chasing your policy tail? Women and ageing public workforces, 2011 Public Policy Network Conference, Auckland, 27-28 January 2011.
- Colley, L (2010) A not-so-gentle invasion: Changes to women’s participation in public service workforces in the 1970s, History in Australian and New Zealand Business Schools: The Proceedings of the Second Academic Association of History in Australia and New Zealand Business Schools (AAHANZBS) Conference, University of Sydney, December 2010.
- Waterhouse, J and Colley, L (2010) Stakeholders’ influence in achieving work-life balance in the Fair Work Act Australia, 14th International Research Society on Public Management (IRSPM) Conference, Berne, Switzerland, 7-9 April 2010
- Colley, L (2010) Workforce management responses to the economic downturn, 14th International Research Society on Public Management (IRSPM) Conference, Berne, Switzerland, 7-9 April 2010
- Colley, L (2010) Is it any wonder? Understanding how public sector reforms contributed to ageing public service workforces, 60th Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 29 March – 1 April 2010.
- Colley, L (2010) Considering public sector executive reforms through labour process concepts, Work Matters: 28th International Labour Process Conference, Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA, 15-17 March 2010.
- Colley, L (2010) Understanding the reasons underpinning ageing public service workforces, 2010 Public Policy Network Conference, University of Tasmania, Hobart, 27-29 January 2010.
- Colley, L (2009) “The politics of regulating an apolitical public service”, in Bowden, B; Blackwood, S; Rafferty, C and Allan, C (eds) Work and Strife in Paradise: The History of Labour Relations in Queensland 1859-2009, Federation Press, Sydney. ISBN 978 1 865287 753 5, pp.163-82.
- Colley, L and Price, R (2009) ‘Responding to an ageing workforce in an Australian state’, in Koufopoulos, DN and Argyropoulou, M (eds) Doing Business in the Global Economy, Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER), ISBN 978-960-6672-45-3, pp.273-286.