Cutting-edge research facilities
Our research facilities and software for data collection and analysis include:
- A sophisticated statistical computing environment with advanced analysis software
- Tools and facilities for spatial modeling, geographic information systems visualisation and the integration of survey and spatial data
- Capacity for scientific qualitative analysis (including textual data concept visualization and mapping) using Leximancer software
Statistical software programs
The Institute has advanced capability in the use of a range of statistical software programs, including:
The Institute also develops software. The following software has been developed:
- Counter Terrorism iLibrary
The Institute is an external provider for training in these statistical and modelling software packages. For more information see the MFSAS website.
The Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) can assist clients with all aspects of survey research, including questionnaire development, sampling design and procedures, and data collection.
We manage a comprehensive in-house data collection service with the capacity to undertake large-scale representative sample surveys by telephone, personal interview, mail, or by using online technologies.
Research facility features
Our Survey Research Facility and services comprise the following:
- 39 station computer assisted telephone interviewing (CATI) laboratory configured for telephone interviews and telephone focus groups
- Voxco software supporting mixed-mode survey data collection as well as questionnaire and call scripting, data processing, contact management, analysis and cross-tabulation, quota and sample management, and web-based reporting
- Licences to specialist analytics software (including SAS, Stata, MPLUS, LISREL, WinBUGS, MLWin, SPSS, R, GIS)
- Advanced statistical computing facilities for the visualisation of large, complex datasets
- A team of up to 100 experienced CATI staff trained in effective social research refusal minimisation methods, participant recruitment strategies, and interpersonal communication techniques to optimise survey research data quality
- Specialised computer hardware and software for web and email surveys
- Infrastructure and automated report generation for mail and personal interview surveys
- Data entry and data coding service.
Our experienced team are trained in:
- Effective social research refusal minimisation methods and participation recruitment strategies
- Interpersonal communication techniques to optimise survey research data quality
For more information on survey research capacity and services, contact the Research Services Manager (Surveys, Text Analytics and Training), Sue York, phone: 07 3346 9680 or email: email@example.com.
The Institute has a training laboratory where it conducts training courses in surveys, statistical analysis and research methods. The laboratories are equipped with both quantitative and qualitative statistical software, including STATA, SPSS and NVivo packages.