EVERY COUNTRY STRUGGLES TO ADDRESS questions LIKE HOW TO ENSURE PROSPERITY, WELLBEING, QUALITY OF LIFE, FAIRNESS AND SECURITY.
OUR WORK AS SOCIAL SCIENTISTS IS TO PROVIDE THE EVIDENCE that is needed to improve policy and practice, AND TO ENSURE OUR RESEARCH IS RELEVANT AND TRANSLATABLE TO THE BIG QUESTIONS AND to the GLOBAL CHALLENGES OF INEQUALITY AND SUSTAINABILITY.
Institute for Social Science Director
Professor Mark Western
The Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) has a staff of approximately 100 people with researchers from diverse backgrounds including criminology, psychology, sociology, demography, economics, statistics, geography, social policy, political science, mathematics and physics.
Our researchers have strong international and regional linkages and collaborate with leading universities across Australia and in Europe, North America and South-east Asia.
The toggles below link to pages that list ISSR staff:
Cutting-edge research facilities
Our research facilities and software for data collection and analysis include:
- A sophisticated statistical computing environment with advanced analysis software
- Tools and facilities for spatial modeling, geographic information systems visualisation and the integration of survey and spatial data
- Capacity for scientific qualitative analysis (including textual data concept visualization and mapping) using Leximancer software
- Supportive housing is cheaper than chronic homelessness Cameron Parsell October 27, 2016
- Ideas for Australia: Closing the gap is proving hard, but we can do better by working developmentally Mark Moran April 21, 2016
- How to improve research training in Australia – give industry placements to PhD students Mark Western April 19, 2016
Other news articles
RECENT RESEARCH published since January 2017
Welcome research partners and students
We welcome partners from commercial organisations and research collaborations both nationally and internationally. We have a global outlook with all our activities from research to and training and mentoring.
Strong portfolio of skills and achievements
The Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) has a strong portfolio of skills and expertise in research methods and applied social research. See below for more information.